Key Points From This Episode:
- An introduction to today’s guest, Oscar Spencer.
- The panel shares what sound their Slack makes when they receive a new message.
- Oscar shares his personal passion for the Vue Composition API.
- Why he believes that Vue’s bright future includes the options API too.
- Why Composition API represents great things for the future of Vue.
- The panel discusses commit messages, interactive rebasing, and squashing.
- What Oscar means when he says that the Composition API makes Vue more scalable.
- Oscar and the panel weigh in on taking a template-first approach
- Discover Oscar’s situational approach to composables when reusing business logic.
- Composition API versus Mixins and why Oscar believes Composition API is superior.
- Whether Options API or Composition API is easier to teach to a beginner developer.
- Oscar on how to know when to use Composition API versus Options API.
- The panel shares some of the longest Vue components they have worked on.
- Render functions in Vue and Oscar’s perspective on React versus Vue.
- What to look out for if you’re new to Composition API; not understanding Vue’s reactivity.
- Why the coolest thing Oscar has done in Vue is write a backend using the reactivity API.
- This week’s picks: Only Murders in the Building, The Artful Escape, Dyson Sphere Program, The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, and more!
“When I look at the Composition API, I see a very bright future for Vue.” — @oscar_spen [0:02:22]
“The Composition API just gets rid of a whole host of issues that you have with Mixins. In fact, Mixins were my only complaint in Vue 2.” — @oscar_spen [0:24:05]
“Don’t be too scared of the [Composition API]. It was definitely designed with composition in mind. It was designed for you to have your composables consuming composables and not blowing up the world – [while] being fairly easy to follow as well.” — @oscar_spen [0:27:34]
“By far the biggest gotcha with the Composition API is not understanding Vue's reactivity. That’s going to be the biggest gotcha that you can possibly run into. I highly recommend, instead of trying to wing it, just go look at a tutorial.” — @oscar_spen [0:57:02]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Unconventional Vue - Vue as a Backend Framework, Oscar Spencer (VueConf US 2020)
- AITA for being mad at my parents for decorating my first house without my consent?, iamcag07
- @oscar_spen (Twitter)
- ospencer (Github)
- Dyson Sphere Program
- The Artful Escape
- Only Murders in the Building, Hulu (Television Show)
- The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, Capcom (Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Steam)
- TERRO® Fly Magnet® Super Fly Roll
- Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar, Cheryl Strayed
Special Guest: Oscar Spencer.