Key Points From This Episode:
- The panel shares their own experiences of streaming, from remote meetings to gaming.
- Liz shares how she got into streaming, what she streams, and what she loves about it.
- The benefits of learning something, live, on the internet, and embracing the process.
- How live coding makes Liz a better pair programmer and helps her in interviews.
- Her advice for getting your streaming set up right: start incrementally and build over time.
- Why Twitch can be an intimidating place for those who aren’t familiar with it.
- Using her platform for important issues, how she has dealt with bad actors and trolls, and why she doesn’t believe in “apolitical spaces.”
- The importance of having trusted moderators in a space that can be toxic.
- The everyone-is-welcome, no-gatekeeping environment Liz tries to cultivate on her channel.
- Hear about the geolocation-based, anonymous, secret-sharing app Liz remade with Vue.
- Some of the benefits for Liz of using Vue for that project rather than React or Gatsby.
- How routing in Vue is simpler than nearly any other alternative library.
- “I want people to see what it’s like when an engineer actually sits down to work because you almost never just sit down and code for two minutes and get something working. You code for two minutes and you get stuck. Then you read some docs and then you try something else.” — @lizcodes [0:06:49]
- “I use my platform to talk about issues I think are important, because I feel it’s not worth it to have a platform if I’m not going to try to educate people or create a space to share issues. I don’t believe in apolitical spaces.” — @lizcodes [0:16:38]
- “I have a goal to try to create a no-gatekeeping environment.” — @lizcodes [0:24:48]
- ADHD Alien by Pina Varnel and ADHD Comics by Dani Donovan (Web Comics)
- Knitting, keeping my hands busy and my mind focused during meetings and videos
- Kobo, a super quality e-ink e-reader that isn't Amazon!
- TCP/IP Illustrated (Book) for learning better about how the internet works (unfortunately I think the only place to get this book at the moment is Amazon or a subscription to O'Rilley books)
- Queens Majesty Hot Sauce (Hot Sauce)
Resources Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Liz Philips on LinkedIn
- Liz Phillips on Twitter
- Liz Phillips on Twitch
- Nanette, Hannah Gadsby (Netflix)
- Raspberry Pi Pico
- Baba Is You (Computer, Nintendo Switch)
- May I Screw Up Your Life?: The Official Guide to Ludi-Q's, Jan Black
- Twitch 101 Thread
- Yik Yak
- Deaddrop Repo
- Galaxy Buds Live Eartip | Free Eartip (ENG), ZUYONI TECH (YouTube)
- Enjoy the Vue on Twitter
- Enjoy the Vue
Special Guest: Liz Phillips.