This episode features two talks on mental health that explore two very different sides of this important topic. Michelle’s talk is a technical showcase of how her research project uses open source tools to better diagnose depression. Greg shares his personal struggles with ADHD and bipolar disorder, and how important it is for us to openly talk about mental health.
- Digital Ocean (sponsor)
- MongoDB (sponsor)
- Heroku (sponsor)
- TwilioQuest (sponsor)
- 718-312-8335 (Greg's mental health resource number)
- Automatic Speech Recognition
- Feature Extraction
- Machine Learning
- Natural Language Processing
- IBM Watson Speech to Text
- DAIC-WOZ Database
- Audio/Visual Emotion and Depression Recognition dataset
- Tom Insel's TED talk on depression
- CUNY Graduate Center
- CodeNewbie YouTube channel
- Codeland, CodeNewbie's conference - April 21 and 22 in NYC
- Codeland Conf
- Codeland 2019
Michelle is a Ph.D. Candidate in Computational Linguistics at the CUNY Graduate Center. She is also a researcher and web developer at the Futures Initiative. Her main research interests are Natural Language Processing for mental health applications and open source technologies.
Greg serves on the Developer Community team at Twilio and lives in Brooklyn with his wife, daughter, and dog. He occasionally sneaks out during lunch to play chess in the park.